What is Fringe?
250+ Fringe Festivals happen world-wide each year: 23 of those happen in Canada, and the Island Fringe Festival is one of them!
Fringe Festivals are dedicated to supporting independent performers and artists while creating opportunities for diverse communities to experience boundary-pushing theatre and live performance at affordable rates.
The Island Fringe Festival is a member of the Canadian Association of Fringe Festivals (CAFF). CAFF works to protect these five guiding principles:
- Participants will be selected on a non-juried basis, through a first-come, first-served process, a random draw, or other method approved by the Association.
- Artists will receive 100% of the tickets and pass price, as agreed upon between the artists and festivals (less any applicable government taxes). Festivals may add a surcharge to tickets and passes.
- Fringe festival producers do not interfere with artistic content of each performance.
- Festivals must provide an easily accessible opportunity for all audiences and all artists to participate in Fringe Festivals.
- Festivals will promote and model inclusivity, diversity and multiculturalism, and will endeavor to incorporate them into all aspects of our organizations including our boards, staff, and volunteers.
What makes the Island Fringe Festival special?
We offer unconventional theatre in unconventional spaces!!
Artists tells us what their ‘ideal’ venue for their performance would be, and we try to make it as site-specific as possible. For example, if an artist requests an outdoor park with a swing set, we will make every attempt possible to acquire that space for their show– if we are unable to get exactly that, we will choose something as close as possible.
We may be small, but we sure are mighty!!
The Island Fringe Festival is one of the smallest Fringes in North America but we live large. We pride ourselves in assembling an amazing team of volunteers who help the shows run smoothly. We give one-on-one personal support to the artists who come to our Fringe. We work to accommodate all everyone who comes to our shows. We have fantastic Patrons… many of whom challenge themselves to see every performance at least once (and sometimes twice!) over the Island Fringe Festival. And because we’re on the East Coast, we sure do know how to party!!